Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 15 minutesTotal Time: 35 minutes
Pre-heat oven to 425°/220°C
- 1lb 2oz/ 500g puff pastry
- 1oz/ 25g butter, melted
- Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 oz/55g candied peel
- 4 oz/ 110g sugar
- 8 oz/ 225g currants
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and butter and cook over a medium heat until melted.
- Off the heat, add currants, candied peel and nutmeg.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll the pastry thinly and cut into rounds of about ¼ inch/0.5cm thickness and 4 inch/10cm diameter.
- Place a small spoonful of filling onto center of each pastry circle.
- Dampen the edges of the pastry with a little cold water and draw the edges together over the fruit and pinch to seal.
- Turn the patty over, then press gently with a rolling pin to flatten the cakes. Snip a V in the top with scissors. Place on a greased baking tray.
- Brush with water and sprinkle with a little extra sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned round the edges.
- Place on a wire rack and allow to cool. Try not to eat them all at once!