|Chicken and Potato Dish with slight modifications|
Here's a dish that is actually a meal in a skillet. It's tasty, filling and has everything from vegetables to meat to potatoes in it! As such, by the old plan, it has 2 Protein Exchanges, 1 Bread Exchange, 2 1/2 Veggie Exchanges, 1 Fat Exchange and 25 Optional Calories The calorie count stands at 275 calories: 19 g protein; 10 g fat; 28g carbohydrate; 88 mg calcium; 578 m,g sodium; 55 mg cholesterol; 4 g dietary fiber.
- 6 oz thinly sliced, pared all-purpose potatoes
- 2 tsp olive or vegetable oil
- 5 oz ground chicken, or as I prepared it, the equivalent amount of finely diced boneless, skinless chicken
- 1 tbsp whipped butter
- 1/2 c each diced onion (I used green onions), diced green bell pepper and sliced carrots (I used baby carrots, finely sliced)
- I used a mixture of freeze-dried garlic and peppers from Winco - 2 tsp.
- 1 can diced Italian tomatoes (with liquid) - approx. 12 oz.
- 1 tbsp parsley, freshly chopped or dried
- 1/4 tsp each thyme, salt and pepper
- In 10-inch skillet, heat oil.
- Add potatoes and chicken and cook over high heat, stirring constantly until chicken is lightly browned (about 2 minutes). Transfer to bowl.
- In same skillet, melt butter; add onion, bell pepper, carrots, and garlic. Saute over high heat until tender-crisp (2 - 3 minutes).
- Return potato/chicken mixture to skillet; add tomatoes, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cook until mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend and potatoes are tender (approx. 10 minutes)