Naan Bread (Sanaa, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge)
This recipe makes 5 (8-inch) breads. Delicious! Serve with a mango dip, cucumber dip, hummus or your choice of other dips.
- 3 2/3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c milk
- 2/3 c warm water
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; stir to combine.
- Combine milk, water and oil in a medium bowl; whisk to combine.
- With the mixer running, pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. As soon as the mixture comes together, switch attachment to the dough hook and mix until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Do not over-mix.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for one hour.
- Place a pizza stone on the top rack of the oven, positions approximately 6 inches below the broiler. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide dough evenly into 5 pieces. On a lightly-floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch circle.
- Turn oven to broil. Carefully slide one circle of dough onto the preheated pizza stone, and broil until bread is bubbled and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Watch carefully: the bread can burn very quickly. Repeat with remaining dough rounds.
- Brush the warm bread with melted butter, serve immediately.