Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 large sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1/2 c light brown or golden sugar
- 1/2 stick (1/2 c) butter or margarine
- 1 can of crushed pineapple, well-drained
- 1 bag of mini-marshmallows
- 1 tsp salt, dash of pepper
- pecans (optional)
How to Make This
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes in cubes. Boil in water with 1 tsp salt added for approximately hot water, until easily pierced by a fork. Remove and drain.
- In large mixing bowl, use a potato masher to squash the sweet potatoes (boiled or baked - see below), butter/margarine, golden sugar and crushed pineapple until the potatoes are mashed and the mixture is smooth. Then stir a bit more with a wooden spoon to blend. You can add a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon along with the pepper or salt, if you desire.
- Turn into a buttered LARGE casserole or 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle liberally with mini marshmallows. You may also wish to either use chopped or whole pecans to decorate the casserole at this point (this is for my friend who says you have to have pecans on a sweet potato casserole).
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes, or until the marshmallows are golden and puffed and the casserole is bubbling. Serve to 6-8 hungry guests.