Here is what appears to be the original recipe from an old cookbook. It is followed by a recipe for basic crepe batter and fritter batter.
Sliced Apple Fritters
- 6 Medium Tart Apples — cut into 1/4″ slices
- 3 Tablespoons Dark Rum (my auntie used rum extract - 1 tbsp mixed with water)
- Juice from one lemon
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Oil — for frying
- 1 Recipe Crepe Batter
- Powdered Sugar
Marinate apples in bowl with rum, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon for 10 minutes. Preheat oil in pan to 360 degrees. Draw the apples through the batter and shake off excess. Fry until golden. Drain on the paper towels and serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
BASIC CREPE BATTER
1 1/4 c. (300 ml) milk
1 c. plain flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. melted butter or vegetable oil
3. Add the melted butter or vegetable oil and blend thoroughly.
4. If beating by hand, if desired, strain the mixture through a sieve to remove any lumps.
5. Allow the mixture to stand for at least an hour before using. If the batter is too thick, add a little milk and mix.
BASIC FRITTER BATTER
Good for use with banana and apple fritters. You can cut the fruit into small chunks and place in the batter to make fritters or simply follow the first directions as given.
2 c. milk
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. flour
Use directions (above)