Saturday, January 20, 2024

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER MARSHMALLOW SQUARES (aka CONFETTI SQUARES)

 CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER MARSHMALLOW aka CONFETTI SQUARES

True confessions: I didn't take a photo of just my chocolate/marshmallow/peanut butter squares (aka "confetti") so I am sharing a photo of our Christmas Cookie "Tree" display. Lots of goodies on there - some recipes I have previously shared, some yet to come. But anyway, this is our variety, and if you look carefully, on the bottom part of the cookie stand, you can see (left to right), cherry coconut slice, spritz cookies and yes, lurking to the right my ultimate favorite, chocolate confetti. So easy, so much fun to make a SO delicious!



I decided to get smart and make stacking the dang thing a bit easier, so I packaged the variety of baking, tucked into cupcake liners, into freezer bags for easier filling. We do love our cookies! The Chocolate Marshmallow Squares have a prominent place on the bottom right of the bag since I like big chunks of this square - ok I admit it, it is an addiction! But the packed bag is so pretty that I had to share it, too. Just think, all the years I have done Christmas baking and have never thought of this little time and space-saver! Whoah!


So, what is the difference between "Chocolate Confetti" and Chocolate Peanut Butter Square? In my opinion, "Confetti" uses colored mini marshmallows while my square uses white marshmallows. Traditionally, Confetti uses milk chocolate chips while my square - this year - was a mix of half dark and half milk chocolate, which made all the difference. Whichever you prefer, all I know is that I have trouble stopping at one piece, hence only having 2 on the tray at once! Oh, and I prefer making it in a foil pan lined with foil so it's easier to remove and cut without issue. Just a little hint there. This year, I also added about half a cup of marshmallows to the pot while the mixture was still quite warm, so they added a bit of gooeyness, a chewier texture that we liked.


INGREDIENTS:

  • 1/4 c unsalted butter
  • 1/2 c cup creamy peanut butter
  • 3/4 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 c dark chocolate chips (or use all milk or semi-sweet if you prefer)
  • 5 c white mini marshmallows (rainbow marshmallows for Confetti slice)
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Line an 8x8 or 9x9 foil pan (or baking pan) with aluminum foil. 
  2. In a medium saucepan, over low heat, combine butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips. Melt, stirring until smooth and completely combined.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in 1/c marshmallows - just for the square, not the Confetti.
  4. Let cool slightly and then mix in the remainder of the marshmallows.
  5. Spread in prepared pan and let set at room temperature. 
Note: The slice can be frozen at this point, but I find it much more attractive if sliced into squares with a sharp knife when set, then stored in the freezer in a freezer bag (as pictured above). Don't forget to save a few slices for the baker and a helper to sample! SOMEONE has to taste-test the goods!


No comments:

Post a Comment