The Classic Cheese Fondue
|From a Vintage Cookbook in my Collection|
- 12 oz natural Swiss cheese, shredded
- 4 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 c white wine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine cheese with cornstarch.
- Rub inside of heavy saucepan with one halved clove of garlic, then discard garlic
- Pour in 1 c white wine and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Warm until air bubbles rise and cover surface. Do not cover or allow to boil
- Stirring vigorously from now on, add cheese one handful at a time until completely blended on MEDIUM HEAT. Do not boil. After cheese is all blended, while stirring, add dash ground nutmeg and a dash of pepper.
- Quickly transfer to a fondue pot and keep warm with a fondue burner. If the mixture gets too thick, add a bit of warmed white wine to thin.
- Cubed French bread, Italian bread, bread sticks, rye or pumpernickel bread chunks or English muffins
- Broccoli, celery or green pepper pieces
- Cherry tomatoes
- Cooked shrimp, chicken or ham
- Cooked or raw mushrooms
- Fried potato nuggets or boiled potatoes