Here are 3 egg roll recipes from the most traditional, to one that's a bit more unusual, to an actual dessert variety! Something for almost everyone...
"Best Egg Rolls"
Here's a recipe given to me by a friend who swears by the result. Sounds delicious to me!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 qt peanut oil for frying (or canola oil if you prefer)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 c shredded cabbage
- 2 oz shredded carrots
- 8 (7 inch) egg roll wrappers (or you can use the smaller wrappers)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Season pork with ginger and garlic powder and mix thoroughly. Heat mixture in a medium skillet, stirring until pork is no longer pink. Set aside.
- In another large skillet, heat oil to about 375 degrees or until a bread crumb browns within 20 seconds when dropped into the oil. While oil heats, combine flour and water in a bowl to form a paste. In a separate bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, carrots and reserved pork mixture. Mix together.
- Lay out one egg roll skin with a corner pointed toward you. Place about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the mixture on the paper and fold the corner up over the mixture. Fold left and right corners toward the center and continue to roll. Brush a bit of flour paste on the final corner to help seal.[note: if you use the small wrappers, you won't use more than 1 tbsp per egg roll]
- Place egg rolls into the heated oil and fry, turning occasionally to brown to a nice golden color. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels (preferably) to absorb the grease and keep crisp. Put on serving plate and top with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Do not place too many small egg rolls in the oil if you are using the little wrappers. This causes uneven heating and uneven results. No more than 6 - 8 little egg rolls should be fried at any time. If you are using the larger wrappers, all egg rolls may be fried at once.
- 2 apples, pared and chopped
- 1/2 c light brown sugar
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 pkg small egg roll wrappers
- sprinkle with powdered sugar after frying